These bars are easy as pie — perfect for when you want blueberry pie without all the hassle!
This recipe comes together in a flash and is bursting with decadent berry flavor, a hint of lemon, and cinnamon! It’s an ideal treat to make when you’re looking for a classic dessert, but still want something a little bit unexpected to keep everyone on their toes. Plus, these delicious treats work just as well as breakfast bars for busybodies on the go.
For the crust/crumb topping:
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup cold butter, sliced into chunks
- 1 large egg
- 4 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375° and grease a 9 x 13″ pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugars, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and zest. Use a fork or your hands to blend in the cold butter and egg. Mix together until the dough is crumbly. Pat ½ of this mixture into the pan and set the rest aside — the rest will go on top of the blueberry layer for a nice, crumbly topping.
- In another bowl, stir together sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice. Gently fold in the blueberries. Once combined, pat the blueberry mixture evenly onto the crust, then follow up with crumbling the remaining dough on top of the blueberries.
- Pop into your preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack completely before slicing. You can even store these bars in the fridge, they will keep longer and hold together nicely. Enjoy!
It only took a day or two before the entire pan was completely devoured in my home, but these bars should keep nicely in the fridge or out for up to a week. You could even substitute another berry if you wish — I think raspberries would be lovely in this recipe and might try it out soon.
I hope you enjoy these blueberry pie bars and please let me know what you think in the comments!