An Orange Honey Cake is a deliciously subtle springtime staple! Flavored with honey, orange, and spices, it’s a simple but delectable treat that perfectly complements a cup of tea or coffee. It’s moist, perfectly sweet, nicely spiced, and the best part: it’s so easy.
Honey and orange both scream Spring and adding a few flowers into the mix really livens things up as well — as undemanding as this recipe is, it’s so easy and fun to add things to it to make it feel like a celebration.
- 1 cup raw organic honey
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- confectioner’s sugar and flowers for garnish (optional – but pretty!)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8″ round cake pan.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
- In an electric mixer or separate bowl, beat honey, eggs, butter, and orange juice until well incorporated.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients and blend until just incorporated, being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until the cake is set and a toothpick comes out clean. Let cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes until setting it free and leaving it on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Garnish with confectioner’s sugar and a few fresh flowers if desired before serving, and enjoy!
This is a cake that gets even better after it sits awhile, so don’t worry about having to eat it all the same day! I find the cloves and ginger really complement the brightness of the orange flavor mixed with the warmth of the honey… if you’re a fan of no-fuss and relatively basic treats, give this a try! I hope you enjoy it.
Hopefully everybody had a lovely & peaceful Easter weekend. Celebrate your next spring event with this deliciously simple honey cake and let me know what you think in the comments! 🙂